Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Vacation...

Life is rooted in rhythms.

Successful life is about embracing those rhythms.

One of the most important rhythms is the dance between intense engagement and intense withdrawal.

For me, one of the most important elements of intense withdrawal is vacation.  It used to be that vacation was something I just looked forward to for the fun of it, but now I realize that it is absolutely essential to my ongoing well-being and value creation.

To be clear, vacation is immensely fun and unforgettable family time, but it is also about disconnecting from the normal grid of life to allow the internal systems to reboot.  And then, and only then, am I able to come back to the normal "grind" with the ability to add true value.

With every year that passes, vacation becomes a more and more calculated thing for me and my wife.  The preparations start weeks in advance and the packing days in advance, all so that when the actual event arrives we are able to truly embrace the space of withdrawal and rejuvenation.

That said, tomorrow we leave for 10 days of vacation, so I will not be writing regularly of these next 10 days. But by taking the break, I believe that I will come back with fresh and new ideas to put into writing.

Until then...cheers!

No comments:

Search This Blog...

Total Pageviews